GORUCK Star Course – 12 Miler: Rockford, IL
GORUCK Star Course – 12 Miler: Rockford, IL
A HISTORIC SPECIAL FORCES RUCKING CHALLENGE
In March of 1906, in one of his final acts as Chief of Staff of the United States Army, Lieutenant General John C. Bates signed into effect General Order No. 44 which dictated, “Throughout the year all companies, troops, and batteries will make at least one practice march each week, which for the infantry shall not be less than 12 miles.” Bates retired from active service in April 1906 having reached the mandatory retirement age of 64. He was the last Army Chief of Staff to have served in the American Civil War.
In subsequent historical documents, there are numerous attempts to decrease the mileage requirements of War Department General Order No. 44, citing that it was essentially too hard and “discouraged enlistments”. Fortunately, for those of us who yearn for a challenge, the 12 mile ruck march remains the standard in Special Forces and in the military on a whole.
Following the footsteps of our infantry ancestors plus our own Special Forces inspiration, here’s a challenge for those of you who seek such things – The GORUCK 12-Miler Star Course, the first rucking series of its kind:
- 12+ Miles
- Teams of 2-5
- 10 or 20 lb Ruck Plate on your back depending on your body weight, it’s called rucking
- 5 hours to complete
Finishers earn the 12-Miler patch, which will never be for sale.
HOW IT WORKS
You and your team of 2-5 (including you) show up at the Start Point. A GORUCK Cadre will issue you a list of waypoints. The route you and your team choose will be your own, so choose wisely. The minimum distance possible will be just over 12 miles. You can expect to see some of the best sites in your city.
Prior to starting the clock, we’ll ensure that you make a successful comms check with our remote support team via text message. At each waypoint, you’ll be responsible for texting a picture of your team. This will serve as verification of your mileage, and by the end you’ll have a great album of photos to document the experience.
NOTE: This is not a Cadre-led event and there are no push-ups or smoke sessions.
- The course will be at least 12 miles. You and your team can hit the waypoints in whatever order you want (good strategy helps).
- Teams are between 2-5 participants. If and only if the rest of your team withdraws or drops for whatever reason, you can continue solo. If you hit all the points under the allotted time hack, you’ll earn the patch. If this happens, we recommend you link up with another team if possible (you’ll still have to text your own pics) to make it more fun as a shared experience. To be clear, though: you have to hit all the waypoints under the time hack to earn the patch.
- Weight Standard: If you are under 150 lbs, carry a 10 lb weight and if you are over 150 lbs, carry 20 lbs. Each participant will have a 10 or 20 lb Ruck Plate (or equivalent in non-consumable weight) in their rucksack at the start point. GORUCK Cadre will verify weight at the end of the event and spot check as needed.
- Keep your Ruck Plate (or equivalent) per participant with you at all times. You may cross load with your buddy/team members as desired.
- You are required to text a selfie with you and your teammate(s) in the picture at each of the waypoints listed on your waypoint sheet (which you’ll receive at the Start Point).
- Purchasing food along your route at anytime is authorized.
- Meeting outside individuals is allowed (re-supply etc.). They may not physically aid or assist your movement in any way, honor code in effect.
- No method of transportation is authorized except rucking.
- Follow any additional instructions or rules written on your waypoint sheet.
- Obey all traffic laws (and all the other laws, too) while participating.
- Call 911 with any real world emergency. We will provide a phone number on your waypoint sheet for GORUCK support questions.
- Cut-off time: 5 hours to earn the patch.
Register as an individual, ruck as a team (you are responsible for forming or finding a team of 2-5 ruckers)
Includes: the opportunity to earn the finisher’s patch, and a cold one or two at the end point.
WHAT TO BRING
- Ruck Plate, 10 or 20 lbs (or equivalent)
- Rucksack (Speed Rucker/Rucker or equivalent)
- Reflective Ruck Bands (or equivalent) on your rucksack
- Smartphone with external battery (at least 1 per team)
- Instagram app downloaded onto smartphone (at least 1 per team)
- Photo ID and $20 cash (just in case)
- Face Mask (Optional)
- Hand Sanitizer/Wipes – 1 bottle Purell, 1 package of baby wipes (or equivalent)
- Source Hydration Bladder, 3L
- Nalgene bottle
- Food (lickies and chewies)
- One extra pair of socks
- Waterproof bag
- Strobe light
THE FINISHER’S PATCH
If you come in under 5 hours, you and your teammates earn the patch. If you don’t, there’s always next year.
Everyone earns a beer (and a hug) at the finish. We’ll see ya there.
EVENT CANCELLATION POLICY
- Refunds are permitted for this event if requested at least 30 days prior to the event date.
- For the full Event Participant Policies please view our FAQ page.
- Visit our searchable FAQ for answers
- Contact us if you still need help