Grit & Grind 2023
Grit & Grind 2023
Ruck Run + Objectives Time
Male 2 person RUCK
Male 2 person CLYDESDALE RUCK
Male 3 person RUCK
Female 2 person RUCK
Female 3 person RUCK
Female 3 person CLYDESDALE RUCK
MIXED GENDER 2 person RUCK
MIXED GENDER 2 person CLYDESDALE RUCK
MIXED GENDER 3 person RUCK
Mixed Gender 3 person CLYDESDALE RUCK
SATURDAY April 29th, 2023 – Bloomer Park – Rochester, MI
PARK CHARGES $5/car for PARKING
REGISTRATION OPENS TUESDAY JAN 24th at 7am
If you have a voucher to use from a previous event, email us and we will redeem that for you and send you an invite to register early
STRAVA SEGMENT LINKS
SLEDDING HILL LOOP (do this 2x)
STAIRS+HILL LOOP (do this 3x)
*STRAVA SEGMENT LINKS WILL BE ADDED TO THIS WRITE UP
Welcome to GRIT AND GRIND 2023. This is going to be a Ruck/Run event with some fitness objectives along the way. All teams will be completing the same course and doing the same work.
- How far is the course? Strava Segments are posted. You can add them all up if you like. (distance is very similar to years past, if you don’t get lost)
- Are there divisions? YES. We have also added mixed gender 3 person teams this year. See the chart below:
- How long will this take? We think a fast team can complete this course in a little over 2 hours. That said, we don’t have to leave the park until sundown. So, you will have plenty of time to finish if that is your goal.
- When is it? April 29th 2023
- Where is it? Bloomer Park in Rochester, MI. (345 John R Rd, Rochester, MI 48307)
- How much to sign up? $75/athlete + processing and platform fees
- Are shirts included? YES
- Is parking included? NO. but, the City is planning to be doing a paving project at the park this year **this is why we are doing this event a little earlier in the calendar than we have done in the past** and we have been told they plan to NEVER charge parking for Bloomer Park in 2023. This is a City of Rochester Park and they reserve the right to charge $5/car as a daily parking fee. While we are paying the city an event fee, this does NOT include parking (even for us).
- Do we have to run the whole time? No, but you probably aren’t going to win by walking the whole time.
- How do I win? Complete the full course and get through all of the objectives faster than any other team in your division. This is a race, albeit a rather long one, but the fastest time wins.
So, how is this going to work?
We are going to be sending teams off in waves. 6 to 7 teams every 20min starting around 9am (we will go as late as 3PM if needed, but last year the last wave went off just after 2pm). This will ensure that when teams reach a “physical objective” location they will be able to complete it and move on without a team in front of them causing a delay.
All team members MUST wear a backpack or vest to carry their weight (packs are not provided by us, you must bring your own backpack). Weight requirements are for the TEAM. ( i.e. if I am on the team that needs to carry 44#, I can carry 20 and my partner carries 24). Packs will be weighed at the beginning and we reserve the right to weigh them at the end of the race as well. This means that things like food and water that will be consumed during the race should not be included in your pack for the weigh in. *a weight vest is allowed as well as long as it meets the weight requirements. Only downside is weight vests cannot easily carry water.
|The race will start at the STONE HOUSE SHELTER at Bloomer Park. At the call of GO, teams will have to complete their FIRST OBJECTIVE:
MAN/WOMAN MAKERS – 2 DB’s, one in each hand 35/25#. A man maker is:
60 reps for 3 athlete teams, 50 reps for 2 athlete teams
TIME CAP – 12min if your team is NOT done by the 12min mark, you must stop and move on down the trail – a 10min time penalty will be added to your teams final finish time.
|Ruck Packs DO NOT have to be worn while completing the man-makers|
|Section 1 – RED||This will take them to the sledding hill for the third Objective; As a team, you must complete 2 laps of the sledding hill. This will be marked off. Each “lap” will consist of three times down the hill and three times up. The objective is not complete until the last team member completes the second lap.
DETAIL MAP FOR SLEDDING HILL OBJECTIVE
STRAVA SEGMENT for Sledding Hill (this is 1x through, you will do this loop 2x)
|Ruck Packs do NOT need to be worn for the Hill Climb Objective.
Teams cannot start this objective until ALL members are at the sledding hill.
Teams cannot leave until ALL members have completed the objective
|Section 2 – Blue||For this segment, you will be following the mountain bike trail the majority of the way. Near the end of the blue line you will come out into the large park field, from here run directly across the field back to the STONE HOUSE (where you started) to complete the STAIR and HILL objective.
Teams must complete 3 total LAPS down the stairs (not all the way down. 2 sections of stair before you get to the bottom, there is a opening and team will TURN LEFT to head back up the hill.) up the hill, run the fenceline back to the top of the stairs. There will be a judge at the top of the stairs counting your laps. Teams must wait for ALL team members at the top of the stairs before starting on a second or third lap.
After the 3rd lap is finished, teams will go down the stairs one more time. This time though you will go ALL THE WAY TO THE BOTTOM of the stairs and TURN LEFT to start on the ORANGE LINE
|RUCK PACKS MUST BE WORN FOR THE STAIR & HILL Objective
Teams cannot leave until ALL members have completed the objective
|Section 3 – ORANGE
BURPEES OVER PICNIC TABLES
|Teams will run the Orange Line. This will start by teams descending the stairs one last time (this time going ALL the way to the bottom of the stairs and going LEFT. The orange line finishes back at the STONE HOUSE to complete the BURPEES OVER PICNIC TABLES objective.
Teams of 2 – 45 reps (over the picnic table = 1 rep, coming back to the side where you started is your 2nd rep)
Teams of 3 – 60 reps
|Ruck Packs DO NOT need to be worn for the wallballs objective|
|Section 4 – YELLOW
|This leg starts and finishes at the STONE SHELTER. But, teams have one final Objective;
This will be a standard wallball, but you will not be throwing to a wall. You will be throwing to a beam in the stone shelter. It appears to be about 10ft high and we aren’t going to measure it for you. All teams, all genders throw to the same beam.
20# balls for males, 14# for females
200 reps for teams of 3, 150 reps for teams of 2.
|Ruck Packs DO NOT need to be worn for the final objective|
REPEAT OF WHAT HAS BEEN SAID: THIS IS ONE EVENT FOR TIME. There are not separate scores for each objective (i.e. you cannot walk the course, but win a few objectives and win. This is about moving as a team as fast as you can through the entirety of the course completing all objectives along the way).
A few rules, notes, and mandatory items:
- This is a SELF SUPPORTED EVENT. This means that you must carry your own water and food that you want to have once the race starts. Water is a necessity (in our opinion) but food is up to you. Do NOT expect to see tables of water or snacks along the way.
- Each team must have at least one of the following:
- A phone in case you need to call for help.
- A phone, smart watch, Garmin/other gps device with Strava downloaded and running. Strava is a free app (with a paid option that will not be needed) that you can start at the beginning of the race and end once you are completed. We do NOT plan on reviewing every team’s route data, but IF your team’s finish time is called into question your team MAY be asked to prove the route you followed. This is very easily done via Strava. All division winning teams WILL have to provide their GPS data for review. *We reserve the right to check teams routes as we see fit.
- Recommended items
- Basic med kit
- A roll of tape
- Tape or moleskin to deal with possible blisters
- Anti-chafe cream or lotion
- A COPY OF THE MAP
- The course provided shows numbers in squares. These are numbered markers that ARE marked on the trail. That said, the park does not guarantee that ALL markers are up at all times. We will have turns marked on the course with flags, but being able to follow a basic map is part of this race. Being able to move quickly is definitely part of this ruck race. But, if you are moving quickly in the WRONG direction it is going to cost you.
- Your team will ALWAYS be on trails in the park. You will NEVER be “bushwhacking”. There are many areas where you will find yourself at an intersection of multiple trails, we will have your route marked with flags. But, you will NEVER be “off trail” at any time during this ruck.
- Packs/Vests are provided by YOU. They will be weighed by a bike/fish scale both before and we reserve the right to weigh them after as well. You can use any pack of your choosing. That said, we recommend using a pack that isn’t going to bounce around on you. What you use to weight your pack is entirely up to you. Pounds of feathers or pounds of lead, just make sure it weighs the correct amount both before and after (again, water and food that you are going to eat during the race ARE going to cause your pack to lose weight. Make sure your pack weighs the right amount without this stuff included)
- Bloomer Park is a PUBLIC CITY PARK. Yes, we did work with them to secure a space for us and paid a fee to hold an event there, but this does NOT prevent others from using the park that day. You may encounter hikers, dog walkers, and mountain bikers out on the trail. If you do, it is your job to be respectful. If it is a biker, move to the side and let them get by you. Pass hikers and walkers with respect. If you are coming up on someone and say “coming up on you” as you approach so as not to startle them.
- PARKING – Parking is $5/car and this is a City of Rochester Fee that we are not able to waive. YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY FOR PARKING (don’t say we said otherwise at the gate, the park ranger is getting a copy of this as well. He knows we told you) Once in the park, we will be at the HILLTOP SHELTER. This is the FURTHEST shelter from the main gate. If you park in the very first parking lot you come to, you will have a bit of a walk to get to the shelter.
- Tents, picnics, tailgates, etc. Please feel free to bring a set up if you wish. We do need to follow all posted city park rules. BLOOMER PARK WEBSITE
PHOTOS WILL NOT BE A PART OF THIS EVENT. IF YOU WANT PHOTOS OF YOURSELF OR YOUR TEAM YOU MUST HAVE SOMEONE IN THE PARK WILLING TO TAKE PHOTOS OF YOU.
WINNING TEAMS WILL BE CONTACTED AFTER THE EVENT. WINNING BANNERS WILL GO ONLY TO THE TOP TEAM IN EACH DIVISION. THESE WILL BE MAILED OUT WITHIN TWO WEEKS AFTER THE EVENT DATE.
WITH 12 DIFFERENT DIVISIONS – WE WILL ONLY BE AWARDING BANNERS TO ATHLETES ON THE WINNING TEAMS IN EACH DIVISION.
LEX ARTIS SCALING POLICY
Lex Artis events will have ONE WRITTEN STANDARD for an event. If you perform the workout as we have it written in the full event write up, you have competed as prescribed.
Unless we state otherwise, WE ALLOW SCALING AT ANY OF OUR EVENTS! Athletes can choose to scale ANY MOVEMENT, ANY REP COUNT, ANY WEIGHT to meet their own personal abilities. Once you scale any part of the written workout your score will be entered into the leaderboard as a “scaled” score and it will fall below any team’s score that did that workout (scored part of a workout) as prescribed. We will still judge you on your new standard, we will still keep your score, and it will still show up on the leaderboard. You will not however be eligible for the podium. If you only scale one scored part of one workout, that is the ONLY score that will show up on the leaderboard as “scaled”, all others will show that you did them as prescribed.
IF you choose to scale a workout or part of a workout, YOU MUST LET YOUR JUDGE KNOW PRIOR TO STARTING THE WORKOUT. You do not need to email us days or weeks ahead of time letting us know (this can be 100% a gametime decision.
LEX ARTIS EVENT REFUND POLICY
24 HOUR CANCELLATION RULE
Once you sign up for an event, you have 24 hours to withdraw for a full refund of your entry fee (MINUS PROCESSING AND PLATFORM FEES). Requests MUST be made via email to email@example.com and time stamped within 24 hours of your registration receipt.
GREATER THAN 30 DAY RULE
24 hours after your registration until 30 days prior to the event the MAXIMUM REFUND GRANTED WILL BE 50% of your registration fee MINUS PROCESSING AND PLATFORM FEES.
30 DAY RULE
At 30 Days prior to the event THERE WILL BE NO REFUNDS GRANTED
ALL REFUND REQUESTS MUST BE SUBMITTED VIA EMAIL TO INFO@LEX-ARTIS.NET. NO OTHER FORM OF COMMUNICATION WILL BE HONORED FOR REFUNDS.
- ASKING FOR A CREDIT TO A FUTURE EVENT IS A REFUND
- HOW MANY TEAMS WE MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE ON A WAITING LIST
DOES NOT CHANGE OUR REFUND POLICY
- INJURIES DO NOT CHANGE THIS REFUND POLICY
LEX ARTIS TEAM CHANGES POLICY
After you sign up for an event, the team captain (the person who signed up via Throwdowns.com) will have a Throwdowns Account (username and password). That team captain has the ability to login to www.throwdowns.com and get into the team details for the event. From there they can edit teammates, team name, shirts, division, etc. You do NOT need to email Lex Artis to make changes to your registration.
AT 30 DAYS PRIOR TO THE EVENT DATE THIS FEATURE IS TURNED OFF (this is when we export information to process shirt orders and make heat schedules)
**Lex Artis reserves the right to turn this editing feature off earlier than 30 days prior**
**Changes to team information CAN POSSIBLY be made within 30 days, but requests must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Changes requested are not guaranteed in every situation**
LEX ARTIS TRANSFER POLICY
Transferring your registration to another individual or team is 100% depending on the event itself. For some events this is a very easy swap. Other events can ONLY handle transfers when you are replacing yourself or your team with someone of the same gender, division, weight needs, etc. ALL TRANSFER REQUESTS must be emailed to INFO@LEX-ARTIS.NET. NO OTHER FORM OF COMMUNICATION WILL BE RESPONDED TO FOR TRANSFER REQUESTS. All requests are handled on a case by case basis. If we are able to accommodate your request there is NO FEE involved with processing a transfer.
LEX ARTIS WAITING LIST POLICY
Once an event sells out, the ticket option will automatically change to WAITLIST SPOT ONLY. There will be a 100% NON REFUNDABLE fee of $5/athlete (total fee will depend on individual or team size). Waitlists will be limit to 10% of the total capacity of the event itself. If/when a spot opens up, an invoice will be generated and sent to the email address that signed up for the waitlist. That person will have 3 days to pay the invoice to secure their (or their team) spot in the event. If the invoice is NOT paid, the invoice will be cancelled and they will be dropped back down to the bottom of the waiting list.
At 30 days prior to the event, the 3 day rule on the invoice will NO LONGER BE IN EFFECT. IF a waitlist still exists at that time ALL teams on the waiting list will be emailed and the spot will be given on a first come, first serve basis.
E-mails requesting to be added to waiting lists will NOT be honored.