Enjoy our circular route on this magnificent mountain range with 50 peaks over 2000m, 18 glacier lakes and 5 canyons. Live your five-day adventure of a lifetime that will lead you on a 80 km long route to becoming a HIGHLANDER!
1. When is the event?
2023 HIGHLANDER Hercules Durmitor, Montenegro is from 1st July to 5th July 2023.
2. What are the distances?
2023 HIGHLANDER Hercules Durmitor, Montenegro is a 80km long hiking experience that lasts up to 5 days.
3. What is the cut off time?
This is a hiking adventure, not a race.
The opening hours of the checkpoints for the 2023 HIGHLANDER Hercules Durmitor, Montenegro are the following:
- START – Black Lake – It will be announced one month before the event.
- CP1 – Dobri do – It will be announced one month before the event.
- CP2 – Sušica Lake – It will be announced one month before the event.
- CP3 – Jablan Lake – It will be announced one month before the event.
- CP4 – Radovan Luka – It will be announced one month before the event.
- CP5 – Goveđe Lake – SCP – It will be announced one month before the event.
- CP6 – Zminje Lake – SCP – It will be announced one month before the event.
- FINISH – Black Lake – It will be announced one month before the event.
4. How do I enter?
To enter the event, you have to complete the registration form we have on the event website: REGISTER button. Payments can only be done online with a debit or credit card.
Capacity is limited, make sure you don´t miss your slot and register for the adventure!
5. How much is the entry fee?
The pricing is volume-based, the price will automatically jump when capacity is reached.
Don’t miss out to register early to get the best available prices!
• Super Early Bird: 179 €
• Early bird: 229 €
• Regular: 299 €
• Last Call: 319 €
All prices have a 5% Active Fee.
Participants must be over 18 years old at the day of the HIGHLANDER event.
More information HERE.
6. What is included in my entry fee?
- HIGHLANDER Map – detailed maps in waterproof bags
- HIGHLANDER ID – detailed instructions with a place to stamp each control point
- 15 meals: 3 meals a day (dehydrated food, cold cuts, cheese, bread, ready meals)
- The Mountain Rescue Service is on duty
- Organization of educational and entertainment activities
- Badge 2023 HIGHLANDER Hercules Durmitor, Montenegro
- Certificate HIGHLANDER Durmitor Montenegro
- Pin 2023 HIGHLANDER Hercules Durmitor, Montenegro
- HIGHLANDER bag
- HIGHLANDER stickers
- Infrastructure at the Start, Finish, Checkpoints and along the route
* Participants may make private transportation arrangements to the starting point on Black Lake, but parking space is limited. The organizer will not be providing transportation after the event, from Black Lake to Žabljak. (2.5km).
7. I have not received the confirmation e-mail – where can I find it?
The confirmation email is automatically sent after doing the payment. Check your inbox and spam folders. If you don’t find it please contact email@example.com
8. How do I change my personal details (address, e-mail…)?
If it is your first time registering for an event with the Active.com platform, you will create your Active profile. Here you will have access to all registered events, and you can edit some of your personal details.
- Log in to https://myevents.active.com.
- Scroll through the list of registered events
- Choose “Edit Registration Information”
- Make changes to custom questions etc.
- Save changes
If you need to change other information (email address for example), please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
9. Is there a minimum age to participate?
Yes, participants must be 18 years old on the event day. If you are registering younger participants, please contact first the event organization.
10. What is the venue address?
START: Black Lake, Durmitor, Montenegro
FINISH: Black Lake, Durmitor, Montenegro
11. Travel & Accommodation:
If you are arriving by car, we recommend leaving it in Žabljak, there is enough parking space in the center. From Žabljak you can easily reach Black Lake, by taxi or by foot – since it’s only a 2.5km walk. If you prefer to make your own transportation arrangements to reach Black Lake, you can use GPS. In case you are arriving by plane – the distances from nearest airports to Žabljak are : Podgorica 133 km, Tivat 170 km, Sarajevo 162 km, Dubrovnik 189 km, Belgrade 377 km. For more information contact us via e-mail email@example.com
12. What do I need to do during the event week?
On the event week you will need to attend the technical briefing and to do registration check-in: pick up your Participant Kit.
13. What is the onsite registration procedure?
All participants must register in person at the event prior to the start to collect the Participant´s Kit and sign the event waiver.
We do not send out in the post the Participant´s Kit.
You will receive an email with all the information one week before the event.
14. Can someone else register for me?
No, all participants must come to Registration during the opening hours for the Registration Check-in. Each participant must sign the event waiver.
15. What nutrition is available during the event?
In addition to meat, we will also have food for vegetarians and vegans.
16. What type of clothing should I pack?
Warm weather clothing, cold-weather clothing, and rain protection. You can find more details here.
17. How difficult is it to stay on track?
Keep in mind that most hiking trails in Durmitor mountain are marked well, but some require also a map and navigation.
It is important to adhere to markers and official hiking trails.
Always keep a map in hand and follow the signposts to stay on course and arrive safely at your destination.
18. What weather conditions should I expect?
Continental climate means you might see anything from sleet to summer temperatures of 27ºC. We recommend downloading a weather app.
19. Can I bring my dog?
Your dog must always be kept on a leash. Dogs are allowed on shuttle buses that will be taking you to the start. For a better organization – in case you are hiking with your dog, please let us know via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
20. Can I sleep in mountain lodges or huts?
No. Sleeping is allowed only in tents and sleeping bags that are required HIGHLANDER gear for all participants. Mountain lodges and huts have limited space and could not accommodate all HIGHLANDER participants.
Sleeping in a tent is a special experience and one of the best parts of a true hiking adventure.
21. I have never hiked, but I feel physically ready. Can I register?
HIGHLANDER is not for professional hikers and mountaineers only. It welcomes nature lovers hungry for activity and adventure. HIGHLANDER is very safe and not overly challenging. A minimum hiking experience is required. We suggest starting a training regimen in the months leading to the event.
22. How can I best prepare for 2023 HIGHLANDER Hercules Durmitor, Montenegro?
All participants should be physically prepared for tackling a 101 km hike smoothly. We recommend 100-200 km of light hiking in the months leading to HIGHLANDER to prepare for the trail.
Above all, you must be able to carry a heavy backpack (practice with a 5-7 kg and increase gradually to 15-17 kg). Make sure you can walk in your hiking shoes and break them in prior to the event.
23. Do I need to bring my own food?
It depends on you and your body. We all have unique eating habits and feel full at different rates. We will provide a total of 15 meals per participant. Food will be available at checkpoints.
24. Do I have to stop at each checkpoint?
The trail has six checkpoints. You have to collect all checkpoint stamps.
Checkpoints are open at specific times. Staff will stamp your HIGHLANDER ID. Outside staff working hours (or similar), you will stamp your own ID.
25. Do I have to set up my tent close to checkpoints?
We have dedicated places for camping. These are marked on the map
26. What if I have gear trouble?
Checkpoint staff is trained for such cases. Feel free to consult them with any gear malfunction or similar issues.
27. Will you be providing transportation to the start?
No. You must use private transportation. Black Lake can also easily be reached by taxi or by foot – since it’s only a 2.5km walk.
28. I will be staying in Montenegro after the event. Will HIGHLANDER provide transportation to my next destination after the event?
No, please use public transportation offers.
29. Is there a cellular service on the course?
In general, yes. There are however areas not covered by cellular service.
30. Are hiking poles a good idea?
A great idea!
31. Can I share my gear with other participants?
Yes. Gear that can be shared includes tent, gas/gasoline/alcohol cooker, compass, first aid kit. Participants sharing gear must reach checkpoints and finish within 30 minutes apart.
32. Will you be designating sleeping areas?
Sleeping areas will be designated according to the bivouacking rules of National Park Durmitor. More information will be given by the Organizer at the registration.
33. What do I receive when I complete HIGHLANDER?
If you complete 2023 HIGHLANDER Hercules Durmitor, Montenegro successfully, you will get a HIGHLANDER Finisher Badge and Certificate.
34. Will HIGHLANDER take place in case of bad weather?
35. I have a specific diet. Will vegan/vegetarian/gluten-free options be available at checkpoints?
There is a specific question in the registration form.
Vegetarian options will be available at all checkpoints. Vegan and gluten-free options will not be available.
36. Side Events:
Please find all information here:
37. Withdrawal/Transfer process:
Please find all the information here.
38. Who do I contact regarding event photos?
More information coming soon.
39. Where can I sign up to volunteer?
Please contact email@example.com
40. Is there a location for Lost&Found belongings?
During the event week: please ask the staff members.
After the event: please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
41. How can I contact the event organizers?
You can contact us via email email@example.com