HIGHLANDER Lake Ohrid
HIGHLANDER Lake Ohrid
HIGHLANDER Lake Ohrid is a mountaineering adventure challenge on the mountain Jablanica in Macedonia, passing through four amazing mountain lakes and finishing at the shore of the Ohrid Lake, the oldest lake in Europe and one of the oldest lakes in the world.
See it, feel it, and unite with the untouched beauties of Macedonia as you have never experienced it before.
You do not need to be an experienced mountaineer, you need to be in good physical condition and most importantly – to be a nature lover and have the desire to be part of an unforgettable adventure. Leave everything else to us, and we promise you an experience that you will remember and talk about for a long time.
The experienced and trained team will take care of overcoming any difficulties that may arise and the rescue service and medical staff will be ready to take care of your health and safe arrival at the finish.
A HIGHLANDER is someone who:
- makes the trail easy for themselves and for others,
- leaves no trace or waste,
- puts community wellbeing above their own,
- shares their resources with others happily, and
- uses natural and biodegradable materials whenever possible.
1. When is the event?
HIGHLANDER Hercules Lake Ohrid, Macedonia is from 23-27 August 2023 on a mountain Jablanica.
HIGHLANDER Orion Lake Ohrid, Macedonia is from 26-27 August 2023 on mountain Jablanica.
2. What are the distances?
HIGHLANDER Hercules Lake Ohrid, North Macedonia is a 100 km long hiking experience that lasts for 5 days.
HIGHLANDER Orion Lake Ohrid, Macedonia is a 25 km long hiking experience that lasts for 2 days.
3. What is the cut off time?
This is a hiking adventure, not a race. Stay tuned for the dates of the finish of the event happening in 2023.
4. How do I enter?
To enter the event, you have to complete the registration form we have on the event website: REGISTER button. Payments can only be done online with a debit or credit card.
Capacity is limited, make sure you don´t miss your slot and register for the adventure!
5. How much is the entry fee?
You can register for the event with the individual entry fee or register as a group and get one free entry (Team Registration 3+1).
The pricing is volume and time – based, the price will automatically jump when capacity is reached or on a specific, announced date.
All prices have a + 5% Active fee.
More information here.
6. What is included in my entry fee?
- Mountain Safety Team
- 3 meals per day
- HIGHLANDER ID – detailed itinerary showing checkpoint (with dedicated checkpoint stamp areas)
- HIGHLANDER Maps
- HIGHLANDER Map Cover – waterproof cases
- Hiker tag, Luggage tag and other Kit items
- HIGHLANDER Pin
- HIGHLANDER Patch
- HIGHLANDER Certificate
- Educational and leisure activities
- Infrastructure provided at the start, finish, checkpoints, and along the route
- Transportation from Camping Scout Struga to v. Modrich*
* Participants may make private transportation arrangements to v. Modrich.
7. I have not received the confirmation e-mail – where can I find it?
The confirmation email is automatically sent after the payment. Check your inbox and spam folders. If you don’t find it please contact email@example.com.
8. How do I change my personal details (address, e-mail…)?
If it is your first time registering for an event with the Active.com platform, you will create your Active profile. Here you will have access to all registered events, and you can edit some of your personal details.
- Log in to https://myevents.active.com.
- Scroll through the list of registered events
- Choose “Edit Registration Information”
- Make changes to custom questions etc.
- Save changes
If you need to change other information (email address for example), please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
9. Is there a minimum age to participate?
Yes, participants must be 18 years old on the event day. If you are registering younger participants, please first contact the event organizer.
10. What do I need to do during the event week?
On the event week you will need to:
- Attend the technical briefing
- Registration check-in: pick up your Participant Kit
11. What is the onsite registration procedure?
All participants must register in person at the event prior to the start to collect the Participant´s Kit and sign the event waiver.
We do not send out in the post the Participant´s Kit.
You will receive an email with all the information one week before the event.
12. Can someone else register for me?
No, all participants must come to Registration during the opening hours for the Registration Check-in. Each participant must sign the event waiver.
13. What nutrition is available during the event?
14. What type of clothing should I pack?
Jablanica morning temperatures in August go as low as 8ºC and daytime as high as 25ºC or more. Showers, fog patches, strong winds, and long periods of sunshine are only a few weather conditions to expect. Prepare for all-weather as well as you can.
15. How difficult is it to stay on track?
Not all the hiking trails on Jablanica are marked well. It is important to adhere to HIGHLANDER markers and hiking trails. Jablanica, Vevcani, Gorna Belica, Visni and Radozda are the closest villages on the trail and checkpoints with trained staff are 18-25 km apart. Always keep the map in hand and follow the signposts to stay on course and arrive safely to your destination.
16. What weather conditions should I expect?
You might see anything from sleet to summer temperatures of 25ºC.
17. Can I bring my dog?
Your dog must always be kept on a leash. Dogs are allowed on shuttle buses that will be taking you to the start.
18. Can I sleep in mountain lodges or huts?
No. Sleeping is allowed only in tents and sleeping bags that are required HIGHLANDER gear for all participants. Mountain lodges and huts have limited space and could not accommodate all HIGHLANDER participants.
Sleeping in a tent is a special experience and one of the best parts of a true hiking adventure.
19. I have never hiked, but I feel physically ready. Can I register?
HIGHLANDER is not for professional hikers and mountaineers only. It welcomes nature lovers hungry for activity and adventure. HIGHLANDER is very safe and not overly challenging. A minimum hiking experience is required. We suggest starting a training regimen in the months leading to the event.
20. How can I best prepare for HIGHLANDER Lake Ohrid, North Macedonia?
All participants should be physically prepared for tackling a 100 km hike smoothly. We recommend 100-200 km of light hiking in the months leading to HIGHLANDER to prepare for the trail.
Above all, you must be able to carry a heavy backpack (practice with a 5-7 kg and increase gradually to 15-17 kg). Make sure you can walk in your hiking shoes and break them in prior to the event.
21. Do I need to bring my own food?
It depends on you and your body. We all have unique eating habits and feel full at different rates. We will provide a total of 15 meals per participant. Food will be available at checkpoints.
22. Do I have to stop at each checkpoint?
The trail has six checkpoints. You have to collect all checkpoint stamps.
Checkpoints are open at specific times. Staff will stamp your HIGHLANDER ID. Outside staff working hours (or similar), you will stamp your own ID.
23. Do I have to set up my tent close to checkpoints?
No. You can bivouac anywhere you like within the designated areas by the Organizer.
24. What if I have gear trouble?
Checkpoint staff is trained for such cases. Feel free to consult them with any gear malfunction or similar issues.
25. Will you be providing transportation to the start?
Yes. A bus will take you from Camping Scout Struga to the HIGHLANDER start position at v. Modrich. Private transportation arrangements are allowed.
26. I will be staying in Macedonia after the event. Will HIGHLANDER provide transportation to my next destination after the event?
No. The Organizer will only provide transportation to the HIGHLANDER start position. Any other transportation arrangements are your responsibility.
27. Is there a cellular service on the course?
In general, yes. There are however areas not covered by cellular service.
28. Are hiking poles a good idea?
A great idea!
29. Can I share my gear with other participants?
Yes. Gear that can be shared includes tent, gas/gasoline/alcohol cooker, compass, first aid kit. Participants sharing gear must reach checkpoints and finish within 30 minutes apart.
30. Will you be designating sleeping areas?
Yes. There will be designated bivouacking sites defined based on the law on nature protection and protected areas management plans in the Republic of North Macedonia.
31. What do I receive when I complete HIGHLANDER?
If you complete HIGHLANDER successfully, you will get a HIGHLANDER Finisher Badge and Certificate.
32. Will HIGHLANDER take place in case of bad weather?
33. I have a specific diet. Will vegan/vegetarian/gluten-free options be available at checkpoints?
There is a specific question in the registration form.
Vegetarian options will be available at all checkpoints. Vegan and gluten-free options will not be available
34. Side Events:
35. Withdrawal/Transfer process:
Please find all the information here.
36. Who do I contact regarding event photos?
More information coming soon.
37. Where can I sign up to volunteer?
Please contact email@example.com.
38. Is there a location for Lost&Found belongings?
During the event week: please ask the staff members.
After the event: please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
39. How can I contact the event organizers?
You can contact us via email at email@example.com